Andrew has been working for Brightspot since July 2010.
This week, Rose went on the record with Andrew Miller, a principal software engineer at Brightspot, formerly Perfect Sense, who has worked on a variety of high profile projects including HGTV Gardens and Politico, among many others. Rose and Andrew discussed the advantages of Brightspot, making the shift from hardware to software in college, and the benefits of super speed.
1. How long have you been working for Brightspot?
I've now been here for five years.
2. Where did you work prior to Brightspot?
Previously, I worked at AOL for nine years.
3. How do you think Brightspot best benefits our clients?
It's flexibility, ease of use, and quick spin up time make the Brightspot platform valuable for our clients.
4. What is your current project? What is your role on the team?
My current project is Politico. I am working on migrations, as well as subscription emails that Politico sends out on different policy topics, such as energy and defense. I am also working with the Politico mobile team to support feeds for its mobile app.
5. What is your favorite part about working for Brightspot?
Like everyone else has said, the people. They are great. We also have a lot of interesting projects that we've acquired and been able to work on.
6. What inspired you to become a Software Engineer?
I always liked to tinker with electronics as a kid. When I first started with computer engineering, I focused on hardware. In college, however, I started taking more and more software classes and eventually migrated my attention to software instead of hardware.
7. What piece of advice would you give a recent graduate starting a career in software engineering?
Try to find a company or organization that you want to work for and that you believe in its ultimate goals.
8. If you could have any super power, which would you like to have and why?
Super speed so I could get around faster and even run over to Australia and hang out for a day.
9. What was the last concert you attended?
I'm not good with band names! I believe the last concert I saw was Howard Jones at the California Hot Air Balloon Festival.
10. What are your favorite sport teams?
I like the local teams -- Capitals and Nationals.