With the RSS integration, you can automatically add items to RSS and Atom feeds to which your site’s visitors can subscribe.
Brightspot publishes feeds in the following categories:
- Section—Assets published in a particular section appear in the section’s feed.
- Tag—Assets associated with a particular tag appear in the tag’s feed.
- Page—Assets published in a particular page appear in the page’s feed.
- Homepage—Assets published in a particular home page appear in the home page’s feed.
- Facebook Instant Article—Assets classified as a Facebook instant article appear in the instant articles feed.
To configure an RSS feed:
- Select Click > Admin > Sites & Settings.
- In the Sites widget, select the site for which you want to configure RSS, or select Global to configure RSS for all sites.
- Under Front-End > RSS Settings, do the following:
- Do one of the following:
- Turn on Disable Feed to a) prevent Brightspot from populating your site’s feed and b) remove the existing RSS feed and its previously published items.
- Turn off Disable Feed to enable a feed that you previously disabled. Brightspot restores the feed along with all associated published items.
- In the Copyright field, enter a copyright notice. This notice appears in the feed’s
copyrighttag, which not all RSS readers display.
- Turn on Default To Atom Auto Detect to set the feed as a discoverable Atom feed in the section, tag, page, home page, or Facebook instant article’s page. Turn off Default To Atom Auto Detect to set the feed as a discoverable RSS feed.
- Do one of the following:
To customize feeds by section, tag, page, or home page, do the following:
- Under Type Specific Feed Overrides, click . A form appears.
- From the Types list, select one of the feed types.
- Turn on Disable Feed to prevent Brightspot from populating your site’s feeds with this feed type and to remove the existing RSS feed.
- Turn on Render Full Content to deliver the entire item—not just a summary—to the RSS feed as plain text.
- From the Enabled Feed Item Types list, select the content types associated with these settings, or leave blank to apply the settings to all content types.
- Click Save.
This topic explains how to override RSS settings at the asset level. For more information on how to configure RSS, see Configuring RSS.
To configure RSS settings at the asset level:
- In the header, click . (Alternatively, you may search for an existing asset. If searching for an existing asset, skip to Step 3).
- Click on a content type for which RSS has been configured (for example, Homepage, Page, Section, or Tag). A content edit page appears.
- Click > SEO, and expand RSS Settings.
- Using the table below as a reference, configure RSS settings for the asset.
|Disable Feed||Toggle on to prevent the RSS feed from appearing for this asset. This is helpful if this asset is an outlier for which you do not want an RSS feed.|
|Render Full Content||Toggle on to display full content of the content type that appears in the RSS feed.|
|Enabled Feed Item Types||Select content types that you want the RSS feed to incorporate. The default setting is all content types.|
In the example below, the editor has RSS enabled at the site-level for tags Brightspot.com. All tags will have RSS feeds as a result; however, the editor wants to prevent the tag
Digital Transformation from having an RSS feed.
As a result, all tags created in the site will have RSS feeds except
Visitors can subscribe to a Brightspot feed using a URL of the form
http://www.domain.com/categoryID.rss. For example, if your site’s domain name is
www.brightspot.com and you have a section
breaking-news-from-outer-space, then the URL for the feed is the following:
All items you publish under the section “Breaking News from Outer Space” appear in the feed.
The same is true for tags, pages, and home pages.
To determine the category ID portion of the feed’s URL, search for and open the category in the content edit page. The category ID’s portion of the URL is in the URLs widget. In the following illustration, the URLs widget shows the category ID for a section.