A look at how Brightspot's products work and solve the content challenges for its customers, including media companies needing to consider digital-to-print publishing operations, workflows and efficiencies.
What’s the business pain point we address?
Print publishing continues to be a significant part of the workflow for newsrooms across the world. As the need to be digital-first has become more imperative, effectively balancing digital and print publishing has proven to be a major challenge leading to high costs for managing non-integrated technology stacks, inefficient publishing workflows and frequent, timely revisions.
How does Brightspot approach this problem?
Brightspot’s mission is to transform the way content is created by better integrating with print production systems, enabling more efficient coordination across platforms. More than simply pushing content from one system to another, Brightspot allows for bi-directional syncing and integrates print into the content creation workflows, and its API-First approach easily integrates with print production platforms.
Key features & benefits:
- Digital-to-print workflows - In Brightspot, print is just another workflow. Leveraging integrations, notifications and roles and rights make it simple to publish to your print platform of choice, make edits and have it seamlessly sync between systems.
- Version control - CMS users can keep track of online articles that are published in Brightspot against shorter print versions in other systems. Keeping both versions up to date and available gives team members the opportunity to collaborate, edit and publish.
- Import content and bi-directional sync - Content teams can import digital articles—including text and images—into their template of choice in their print platform, such as the front page of a newspaper. The content is then mapped into frames within the template which editors can access automatically creating a print-ready version of the content.
- Overset warning - Typically, when publishing digital content in print formats, editors face formatting issues due to limited space. To allow editors to see and help solve this challenge with designers and their newsrooms, Brightspot sets notes when text in the template is overset within the frame and provides a similar warning in Brightspot as well.
- PDF preview - To make formatting even easier, editors can preview a PDF copy of the printed document the designer is laying out. This allows them to review the layout, evaluate the impact of the overset on the document and make editorial decisions to correct it.
- Pre-designed templates - Brightspot offers several out-of-the-box templates for Adobe InDesign to help creators get a head start on creating content; however, teams are not restricted to pre-defined templates and can design their own that meet their publishing needs.
What is the main benefit to the user?
Brightspot’s digital-to-print publishing capabilities seamlessly integrate print into your digital publishing workflow. Editors can easily keep track of and compare digital and print versions of articles, keeping both versions up-to-date and available. This improves collaboration and makes it easier to manage the approval workflow for changes and edits to the different versions.