Delivering up-to-the-minute news and entertainment across Univision's diverse digital portfolio to millions of Hispanic Americans.
Univision by the numbers
Brightspot is the piece of software sitting between every system we have. It is the digital brain of Univision.
The Univision challenge
Univision, the largest provider of Spanish-language content in the United States, realized in 2013 that it had run as far as it could on its legacy CMS platform.
Stuck on a content management system from a defunct vendor, Univision was dealing with malfunctioning ad integrations, an inefficient publishing process and an over-dependence on IT.
- Univision’s assets in the U.S. include the Univision and UniMás broadcast networks, nine Spanish-language cable networks, 59 television stations and 57 radio stations in major U.S. Hispanic markets, and the PrendeTV AVOD platform.
- The Univision Network is the most-watched Spanish-language television network in the U.S., reaching 97% of Hispanic households.
The Brightspot solution for Univision
Today, over 70 Univision sites operate out of a single Brightspot instance—covering everything from news to sports to entertainment. Having moved to a series of headless implementations in 2019, the broadcaster enjoys the flexibility of a front-end delivery system that’s independent of both the back-end codebase and the needs of its 500-plus daily CMS users. An ever-growing list of multisite properties within the CMS benefit from shared content, roles, permissions, integrations and more.
- Application development flexibility supports content licensing and localization at the site level.
- Univision’s CMS user base has grown over 150% in the past five years, with Univision’s CMS site admins empowered to manage with zero IT overhead.
- Univision has a platform able to scale and support large global events like the 2022 FIFA World Cup for audiences across the United States and Mexico.
The outcome for Univision
With a modern digital newsroom at its core, Univision can serve its diverse and growing audience. CMS publishing efficiencies mean content can be created once then easily distributed everywhere (including serving highly localized content experiences that can be scaled to a national level if needed). Compared to before, Univision dev teams can fully customize, modify and extend the platform to the business’ needs with no delays or latency.