Mattress Firm’s brick-and-mortar stores are familiar sites to people across the U.S., but like most traditional retailers, the company has sharpened its focus on its digital presence. In an effort to expand its online footprint, Mattress Firm partnered with Brightspot to relaunch MattressFirm.com and the company blog, The Daily Doze.
Mattress Firm by the numbers
The Mattress Firm challenge
Like many traditional retailers, Mattress Firm was looking to strengthen its digital presence to reach customers beyond its brick-and-mortar stores.
To achieve digital transformation, it needed a solution that would help better organize and mature its content offering in order to help educate consumers about buying mattresses. With that, it sought to increase brand awareness, drive customers via SEO and paid distribution and create opportunities to test new content types and channels.
The company also needed a solution that would integrate with a wide variety of existing partners, from data to e-commerce. Finally, it was limited in its ability to feature blog content alongside e-commerce promotions on their homepage. This meant they were unable to target top of funnel and middle funnel content to the audiences to whom it was most relevant.
The Mattress Firm website is the gateway for our customers into our brand and their experience with our company. And that’s the way we’re trying to treat it—as not just a transactional site but somewhere they can come in and learn, and that’s really where the content to commerce picks up.
The Brightspot solution for Mattress Firm
Coupled with its new CMS, a headless implementation has transformed the way Mattress Firm approaches the content-as-commerce opportunity.
A homepage syndication model allows Mattress Firm to more easily feature relevant content from The Daily Doze alongside e-commerce promotions. An API-first framework bridged connections with Mattress Firm's data management and e-commerce partners, so that vital parts of the business now work together with minimal intervention on the IT side. Brightspot’s intuitive publishing interface also means content and marketing teams are empowered to set up pages to promote various initiatives, again without the help of development resources.
In addition, the retailer partnered with Brightspot on a full redesign of MattressFirm.com and the company blog, The Daily Doze. More recently, the firm relaunched Sleep.com, a highly immersive site dedicated to providing tools, resources and advice for achieving a better night's sleep.
The outcome for Mattress Firm
- Brightspot’s robust tag and taxonomy management capabilities means visitors to The Daily Doze can now more easily find and engage with content that is most relevant to them
- Mattress Firm leverages Brightspot's system of custom workflows and permissions to make sure the right people and the right teams get access to the right content, accelerating speed-to-publish times.
- Custom templates and pages allow the Mattress Firm team to build experiences that deepen user engagement—bounce rates decreased 20% following the MattressFirm.com relaunch—and increase revenue. The team reported seeing double-digit increase in conversion rates on key entry pages following the redesign.
- The 2020 launch of Sleep.com was accompanied by a mobile app with innovative sleep-tracking capabilities. Although built on an entirely separate code bases, the content featured is produced and hosted in Brightspot.
- Mattress Firm is no longer hampered by the need for development to support campaign initiatives. Notably, during the lead up to the rescheduled 2020 Toyko Olympics, Mattress Firm ran an "Unjunk Your Sleep" advertising campaign on TV and in print. The microsite to support this large media campaign was designed and delivered in under 10 days.