Adding a reference field
A reference field enables editors to select an item existing in Brightspot. A common example of a reference field is selecting an author for an article or a blogger for a blog post.
To add a reference field:
- Search for and open the content type that you want to edit, or create a new content type. For details, see Creating an editorial content type.
- From the Items list, select Reference Field.
- Under Main, in the Name field, enter a name for this field.
From the Count field, select one of the following:
- One—Editor can select only one item.
- Many—Editor can select more than one item.
- Many (Sortable)—Editor can select more than one item, and then rearrange the selections into a desired order.
- From the Types list, select the content types used to populate the reference field. For example, if you want editors to be able to select an author, select the Author content type.
(Optional) Under Advanced, do the following:
- In the Note field, enter a short explanatory note that appears in the content edit form.
- Toggle on Unique if the field's selection must be different from selections entered in this field in other items. For example, an editor selects
Blogger Ain this field; editors cannot select
Blogger Ain this field when creating other items of this content type.
- Toggle on Search Filter to allow type-ahead searching. As an editor types characters in the field, Brightspot shows only the matching entries. This feature is useful for reference fields with many possible selections.
- Toggle on Required if this is a required field.