Digital asset management (DAM) software is ending the days of digging through complex, disorganized, and disconnected digital filing systems. Once reserved mainly for our friends in IT and product, digital asset management (DAM) systems are now taking a front seat in the martech stack.
Marketers waste inordinate amounts of time trying to find their assets, often jumping between disparate third party and local systems to find their files. Modern Digital Asset Management (DAM) systems help marketers manage the creative process faster, providing access to digital assets based off metadata, tags, and unified search functionality.
DAMs have quickly evolved from simple cloud-based filing systems for images, videos, and text documents to more critical solutions that companies rely on every day. In 2018, we believe DAM will take its necessary place at the forefront of MarTech stacks everywhere.
The state of digital asset management software in 2018
As the demand for DAM systems grows, vendors will continue to evolve their platforms to address more complex asset management needs. According to a recent webinar from Real Story Group, we’ll see the following trends in digital asset management this year. DAM will:
- Become the engine of the MarTech stack, especially as DAM solutions become more interoperable
- Better address the creative process by focusing on the work-in-progress stage of asset development with better workflows
- Closely tie images and videos with data and copy using third-party integrations and more robust metadata management
- Better manage video content by offering light video editing functionality and the ability to translate the dialogue of video into text
- Decrease the reliance on external agencies by decoupling asset management from agency relationships
- Embrace AI, helping companies address the growing volume of digital assets by automating asset tagging and organization
As companies continue to adopt contemporary DAM solutions, marketing teams will become increasingly agile by working smarter and maximizing the value of digital assets to tell their stories.
Food Network and HGTV use DAM to improve digital experiences
In 2014, Scripps Networks Interactive — the engine behind HGTV, Food Network, Travel Channel, and DIY Network — recognized the need for a digital asset management system that would help its team manage hundreds of thousands of images, videos, and text assets in order to easily find, access, and track the usage of each digital asset.
At the time, Scripps was using an older version of Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) which did not allow them to manage digital assets from its different internal systems in one place. Scripps made the decision to integrate Brightspot Media Desk into AEM. Since the partnership with Scripps began, Brightspot Media Desk has been used to manage digital assets for multiple websites, including the core HGTV and Food Network websites.
By leveraging a modern DAM, Scripps has enabled its editors to search for, organize, and edit assets in batches and add them to workflows, ensuring that they are working efficiently on the right assets. Scripps also uses Brightspot Media Desk to catalog thousands of recipes for Food Network based on metadata tags, like ingredients, occasion, meal time, and more. Its editorial teams work more efficiently and waste less time searching for and re-creating digital assets.
Over the years, Scripps has worked to implement new features within Brightspot Media Desk to continuously build a better digital asset management system that can manage any type of digital asset, including videos, images, PDF’s, spreadsheets, written copy, and presentations. Modern DAM solutions, like Brightspot Media Desk, are becoming essential pieces of companies’ martech stacks as marketers endeavor to efficiently manage and leverage a higher volume of digital assets to tell more impactful, creative stories.
- Discover why our out-of-the-box components and content models are relevant to more than 25 use cases and let you transform and adopt rapidly.
- Discuss how you want to publish – headless or de-coupled – all from the same environment.
- Explore how Brightspot integrates, extends and enhances all your relevant important enterprise information and systems.
- Meet some of our world-class Delivery Team that will partner with you to drive better, faster, successful results.
We will be reaching out shortly to schedule some time and get a few more details to customize your demo.