Configuring integrated search and notifications with Slack
This topic covers how to configure integrated search in Brightspot with Slack.
To configure integrated search and notifications with Slack:
- For each workspace you are configuring federated search or notifications, ensure you have access to the workspace’s console.
- Click > Admin > Sites & Settings.
- In the Sites widget, select Global. The Edit Global widget appears.
- Under Main, ensure that the Default Tool URL field is set.
- In the Sites widget, select the site for which you want to configure Slack, or select Global to configure Slack for all sites.
- Under Main, expand Slack.
- Under Workspaces, click . A selection field appears.
- From the selection field, select Create New. A New Slack Workspace widget appears.
- In the Workspace Name field, enter a name for the workspace (typically the name of the Slack workspace you are integrating).
In the Client ID field, copy and paste the redirect URL into a text editor.
- Click Slack API Console to access your Slack console. If prompted, log into your Slack account. The Slack Your Apps page appears.
- In the Your Apps page, click Create New App. The Create an app widge appears.
- In the Create an app widget, select From scratch.
Name the app and select the workspace that you would like Brightspot to use.
- Click Create App. The Basic Information page appears.
- Under Features, click OAuth & Permissions. The OAuth & Permissions page appears.
Under Redirect URLs, do the following:
- Click Add New Redirect URL.
- Enter the redirect URL from step 10 and click Add.
Click Save URLs.
Under Scopes, do the following:
To enable federated search, under User Token Scopes, add files:read and search:read.
To enable notifications through Slack, under Bot Token Scopes, add chat:write and chat:write.public.
Scroll to the top of the OAuth & Permissions page and click Install to Workspace. A list of permissions appears.NoteDepending on your role in the Slack workspace, you may first have to request approval to install the app.
- Click Allow. You return to the OAuth & Permissions page.
If you are configuring notifications, do the following (otherwise skip to step 22):
- In Slack, under Features, click OAuth & Permissions.
Under OAuth Tokens for Your Workspace, copy the value for Bot User OAuth Access Token.
In Brightspot’s Slack Workspace widget, paste the token into the Token field.
If you are configuring third-party search, do the following:
- In Slack, under Settings, click Basic Information.
Scroll to App Credentials.
- Copy the client ID and client secret values to the Client ID and Client Secret fields in Brightspot’s Slack Workspace widget (see the illustration "Slack tokens in Brightspot").
- Click Save.
- Click Back.
- From the Workspaces selection field, select the Slack workspace you just created.
- Click Save.
Verify the integration is active:
- Configure a subscription and a delivery method that uses Slack, and trigger an event that sends a message over Slack.
- Search for a file inside your Slack workspace.