Redirecting an asset request to a target permalink
You can add redirect URLs in the content edit page of the target asset, that is, the asset that you want to use in place of an obsolete asset. For example, if Article A is obsolete and you want links to Article A to be redirected to Article B, then you set the redirect in the content edit page for Article B.
To add redirect URLs to a target permalink:
- Obtain the URL of the obsolete asset.
- In the URLs widget, click .
- From the drop-down list, select Redirect (Permanent) or Redirect (Temporary).
- In a multi-site environment, from the drop-down list, select the site to which you want the redirect URL to apply. Selecting Global applies the redirect URL to all of your sites.
In the text box, type the redirect URL in the field. The redirect URL specifies one of the following:
- The permalink of an asset you deleted.
- A permalink you deleted from an asset.
URLs start with a slash (/) and have no ending slash.
For example, if an obsoleted article had a permalink of
/toppings, you would specify
/toppingsas the redirect URL. As shown in the following screen shot, the
/toppingslink would be redirected to the asset with the permalink of
- Repeat steps 2–5 to set additional redirects to this asset.
- In the Editorial toolbar, save or publish the asset.
If you get a message about fixing field errors, you probably specified a permalink that has not been removed from the obsolete asset.